Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Swaddled in Love

So it's been HOT here.

I know you must be thinking how hot can it get in Santa Monica with that nice ocean breeze? Well, it's been unseasonally hot the past few days and that poses a problem. You see, we don't have air conditioning and the upstairs turns into a sauna. Every room upstairs has a ceiling fan except for Sarah's and her room gets the most direct, hottest part of the day sun. It's a scorcher.

The problem is this, she still has to be swaddled TIGHTLY inorder to go to sleep and most of her swaddling blankies are 2 layers of flannel and keep her warm enough, without the sun's help. She does however have 2 blankies that have come in handy the past few evenings and I have my Great Grandma, Sarah's Great, Great Grandma Esther Weldon to thank for that.

Technically I owe Grandma Weldon (Marcella) a thank you. For my shower she gave Sarah 2 blankets she made from Esther Weldon's bedsheets. These blankets are not too thick and not too thin, they're just right! So you see, she's swaddled in love from all of her Great Grandmas and I think she can feel that love.

6 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

SPECIAL!!!! I love our blankies from grandma too.

The kids play with ours now when they play dolls. At first I wasn't sure I wanted them playing with them, but I figure if they never use them, they'll never know they are special.

dana said...

Hey Kim,
It's Dana (suman) Willard.
I found your blog through Miriam. I'm so excited to see your little girl! What a cutie.
I have a 2 year old daughter and a little boy who may be the same age as your little one. He's 4 months old...and MUST still be swaddled also. It's kind of annoying and yes! hard when it's hot outside. I used a bedsheet also to wrap him and I have a real thin knit blanket that's not too heavy. I can't wait for him to grow out of this though.
Fun to see what you're up to!
If you want to check out our family blog here it is:
http://88milesperhour-willard.blogspot.com/

Grandma W. said...

Oh, I am so glad the blankets came in handy!! And, I know Great Great Gram Weldon is too! The handywork isn't the greatest, but I got them done! Gram always did such nice work on everything! Isn't that amazing she still likes to be swaddled? I guess it is because you have always done it!
I am glad you are using them and someday you can tell Sarah where they are from!
We love you!

Pam said...

I'm sure Mom was crying when she typed her comment! Isn't special to have something of Gram's?!?!? She had made me blankets like those for you girls when you were born. They were always the best!
love you, Mom

Stephanie said...

YOU LIVE IN CALIFORNIA AND DON'T HAVE AIR CONDITIONING? HOLY CRAP!! I would die. I love the blankets though..So very sweet.

Jyl said...

I'm just dying for you that you don't have an air conditioner! you need to drive out to my house and have a play date with me cuz I keep my house no warmer than about 60 degrees! I'm an air conditioning fanatic! you poor thing!