Tuesday, April 29, 2008

fit for a KING and queen

We finally did it; we purchased a new mattress. Before we got married I owned a more than decent queen size mattress and that's what I brought into our marriage--like my dowry! I also brought my many back problems and pregnancy only compounded them by about 100%. I used so many pillows during prenancy that Richard barely had any room to sleep because my pillows and I took up the majority of the bed.


Because we are lucky enough to live in Richard's childhood home since his dad lives in Nashville, we have plenty of rooms and plenty of furniture. In the storage room there was a king size mattress and one day we decided to set it up so that we would have more room. So our bed went into the guest room, making our visitors stays much better, but our sleep only went down hill. The king size mattress we set up was old; older than dirt. It belonged to his grandparents and felt like it! But for space sake we stuck it out. Why, I will never really understand. My back problems increased to the point that a couple of months ago I couldn't move for 4 days...seriously, I was stuck on the couch being waited on hand and foot. (That part wasn't so bad, but when you have a little baby that relies on you, it gets difficult!)
After much discussion and delay, on Saturday we finally went mattress shopping. We spent much more money than Richard was planning on, although I knew it would cost $$$$. Yesterday they delivered to us our KING size, latex (made from the rubbertree), anti-microbial/dustmite free (they can't live in it), coil-less bed!!

2 men came to the door to do the delivering. Sarah and I were in her room playing while they carried, pushed, pulled, and dragged our bed up the stairs all the while grunting like they were in the weight room pumping iron; very heavy iron. When I went to make sure they were alright they were drenched with sweat. I guess this bed won't be the kind that when we need it moved we offer friends pizza to help; we just might have to hire a few good moving men.

They told me that I was going to sleep well on the mattress we had chosen and that when the baby cried I would run get her and bring her quickly back to bed with me. They told me I was going to struggle to get out of bed come morning. Boy were they ever right!
This morning when Richard's alarm went off I intended to get up so that I could get my workout done and out of the way, but I kept falling back asleep almost as quickly as I woke up. Heaven, it's sheer heaven.
I also got a pillow made from the same material. I counted this morning and we have 10 different pillows all of which I used to sleep on at one time or another. It seemed like everyday I was rotating to another, just trying to find one that was comfy--no more of that, I have my one and only pillow now.

Nice bedding, I know. Because we spent so much on the bed itself there's no money left to purchase new bedding yet. (We did get sheets) So until we can afford the rest, we will just live with the new white sheets and old, too small blanket. One day I will have a bedroom that feels like my own...but until then, atleast I have the mattress.

Isn't it bedtime yet?!?!

5 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

You LOOK like a queen in that picture. I think someone should have been fanning you and feeding you grapes!!!!

Glad you like the bed!

Go with the Target set. It is so YOU!!!

Pam said...

There is nothing more important than a good nights sleep!!! And a back that feels good! And a head that doesn't hurt!! You are in good shape now! I'd like to know more about the pillow! Mom (Thanks for taking off the funky words . . . they were driving me crazy!!)

Stopher and Nicolle said...

i will volunteer to house sit for free, and i will bring a new set of sheets even. i love a good bed. congrats!!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! I want a new King size mattress!!

Grandma W. said...

You will love it!!! Nothing like a good mattress and pillow! It is the best investment you can make!!
Do you like it too, Richard? Hope so! Nothing like a king size either!!
Hope this helps your back, Honey! Nothing more miserable!!! Believe me - I know!
We love you!