Sunday, June 22, 2008

To Cross or Not to Cross

I have mixed emotions today.

Sarah and I try to get out and walk every afternoon. It's wonderful for me to get some fresh air and Sarah enjoys it. It's also how she gets in an afternoon nap. She usually stays awake for the beginning of our journeys but by the time we head home, she's taken in enough sights and is ready for beddy.

We live directly behind an elementary school; Franklin, the one Richard attended, to be exact. It's fun to see the kiddos with the parents walking to and from school and the sound of the kids at recess makes our quiet neighborhood lively and enjoyable. I always have mixed emotions about the last day of school because the hustle and bustle will be gone. Sometimes on a long day as a stay-at-home mom, just the noise from Franklin keeps me sane; I can't explain it.

Here's where the mixed emotions come into play. Along with having to say goodbye to my distant noise makers on the playground and crowded neighborhood parking I have to say goodbye to the crossing guards; with whom I have a love-hate relationship. Here's why.


On our afternoon journeys I encounter many crossing guards and although I am thankful for the work they do, somedays I feel like they do it too well. Shouldn't I be able to cross the street by myself?!? They see me coming from far away and get up out of their chairs so they're ready when we arrive at the corner. Then when I go to cross they stop me, go first, and escort us through the intersection. It's nice I know, but irritating nonetheless. I've even seen them yell at people (ADULTS, not children mind you) who use the crosswalk across the street instead of the one with the guard. I guess they really feel the need to be useful.


There is one crossing guard further away from our house near a different school and he's on the opposite side of the street from where we usually are. He ALWAYS assumes that we are going to cross his way and begins entering the street with his sign held high, and everytime I have to wave him off and thank him anyway as we turn the corner and head away from him. I told myself that one day I would cross his way just so he could do his job and feel good about it, but I never got around to it and now school's out for summer. Bummer, but at least now I can cross the street and feel like a big girl.


I guess I should just be happy to know that my kids will be well taken care of at every corner when they become schoolage children.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Kim,
this post made me laugh! I feel the same way about the crossing guards. I love that they help my kids at school but the times that I walk them to school I feel like I can get them safely across the street myself.
Your little girl is darling!
It is so fun to see what is happening in your life.
Do you love California? Do you miss Idaho at all?
We cant wait to get back to Idaho someday, hopefully!

catharooni said...

well, the only thought that comes to mind is having adults use the crossing guards to model the behaviour they want their kids to follow. it makes me think of young women's ... how the grown ups felt they were allowed to chat while the YW were expected to be quiet and attentive ... no wonder once they got to RS they chat away!!

but i digress ...

if the kids see even the grown ups respecting the crossing guards, they are more likely to do so themselves.

now. having said that, i am so glad you get to be a "big girl" this summer!!

miss ya ...

Rozanne said...

I will forever be grateful for the crossing guard at 24th and Montana from 1987-1990. When I was late for the #3 bus to take me to Samohi, I would run up the alley, and see the bus go by. Then the crossing guard would step out and stop the bus, waiting for me to come up the alley, around the corner and cross the street! I made it on many a bus this way.

Lisa-Marie said...

You are too funny! This really made me laugh.

But, uh...next time could you please include a picture of Sarah? Thank you.

Grandma W. said...

You are so funny! Be glad the crossing guards want to help you and Sarah! I am glad they want to help you!! Don't want anything to happen to all that precious cargo!!
I am sure it is fun to live by a school and be able to listen to all the kids! Don't blink your eyes as Sarah will be amongst them very soon! Time flies!!!!
Love you!