I had to look back at the pictures to see how Stephanie had noticed. She's an old friend; the kind who will tell it like it is, whether good or bad, and then end it with XOXO!
I have always; as long as I can remember had the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad habit of biting my nails. My family has tried everything to get me to stop.
- My family; parents and grandparents included, have offered me money to stop.
- I have used that yucky tasting polish. It's nasty, but guess what folks, it washes off.
- I think if I remember correctly my parents threated to ground me (they grounded us for everything growing up, right Stephanie?).
- I like facial hair as long as it's cleaned up daily. Richard knows this and doesn't like to shave. We've compromised and now he shaves every other day. However, he has threatened to not shave when I bite my nails.
- I have had fake nails put on many times but I don't like the upkeep and they look too fakey for me so I always end up pulling them off and then my nails are in worse condition than when I started.
Most of these attempts to stop only last for a little while and then without knowing it I have started again. Unless you bite your nails or have in the past, you don't get it. I bite them without even being aware of it. It's ugly, disgusting, and down right dirty but I can't kick the habit.
Stephanie called me out. She noticed in one of the pictures; not sure how, but she did, that I started biting them again....never really stopped, but hopefully today is the day. I am going to stop. If she can tell in a tiny picture, where you should be looking at my adorable daughter and not my hands, then what is the rest of the world thinking?! Today's the day, thanks for getting me on track Steph. Your honesty has always been one of my favorite characteristics...most days! :)
11 comments:
I feel for you.. I too am a biter! mostly because when I got to violin class my teacher was SOOOO mean if my nails were too long to play, so I would quickly bite them on the drive over, but now its just a habit, James says I only do it when I'm nervous. like when we are watching a scary movie. BUT... now I see Skylar imitating, and biting her nails.. and I so don't want that life for her! hahah so I will join you in your quest. Today is nation not bitting nails day! PS I feel the same way about Acrylics.
BTW, my parents took a different rought than yours, they tried to scare the crud out of me instead of grounding.. they would tell me that biting your nails causes worms to grow in your stomach....awww the things parents tell their kids... I also still sleep with earplugs or the blanket over my ears cuz my mom told us that earwigs crawl in your ears at night and eat your brains out.. I am damaged goods!
I have a habit of picking at my face . . . and I wonder why I still get zits! I told Lauren she could yell at me every time she catches me picking a zit! It's actually been helping - I couldn't believe how much I was doing it! Now if I could get her to stop picking her nose!
Oh how they exagerate!!! We DID NOT ground you for everything and you were rarely grounded. I should ground you for fibbing! You are just thinking of the time that we wouldn't let you and Stephanie drive to your friends in Eagle when we were having the snowstorm of the century. Remember?!?!? Anyway . . . congrats on stopping the biting. You will be very very happy with yourself! I LOVE YOU!! Mom
I think everyone has a bad habit they would like to break. I crack my neck and wish I wouldn't, but sometimes it just feels so good. I told Katie to tell me not to and that seems to help with the public cracking. But - I am a closet cracker. :)
Katie has started biting her nails. In defense we have started cutting them every couple of days so there is nothing there to bite. That is how I got over my habit of that, I'll let you know the outcome.
Good luck - I thought about doing a posting about loosing weight - so maybe I finally will. We'll see!
Okay so this is a journal entry but just so you know I have been thinking about how to capture my laugh-
I love you girl.
Honey, I know you can stop biting your nails - because you have done it before!!!! Do it before Sarah notices and starts doing the same thing! And, I don't remember you girls ever being grounded! You were good girls! Now, be good and stop!! We will see you soon!!!
WE love you!
Hope I didn't hurt your feelings, I sound so mean...It has always been my problem to speak before I think, in this case write before I think. Last time we met up your nails were freakishly long so I had to ask!! You know me, I notice the stupidist stuff. Good luck, you can do it.
Would it have stuck less of a nerve if I would have ended my other email with :-P instead of XOXO??
I do love ya!
Something that I've tried is putting a rubber band on my wrist and flipping it whenever I bite my hang nails.
Holy cow! Kim! I cant believe that I heard from you...how are you???
It looks like you are doing fabulous, living it up in California.
You look so cute, I love your short hair!
So do you keep in touch with anyone else I would know?
This is the best thing about blogging, you find old friends!
I love it!
I will be checking in on you from now on, hope that is ok!
Great to hear from you!
I so feel your pain! I bite my nails all the time, too, and so wish I would stop!
I don't know who jyl is, but her mom and my mom must have been in cahoots. It cured me real fast...that and I stopped playing the violin when I was 18...
Post a Comment