Friday, May 2, 2008

Huntington Library

Yesterday Sarah Jane and I joined a group of moms and a dad along with their kiddos at Huntington Library. Being in a ward where Sarah was baby #17 last year, really has it's pluses--about 17 of them!
Huntington library is an ENORMOUS park (for lack of a better word) located in San Marino, near Pasadena; here is how they describe it.


"The Huntington is a research and educational center set amidst 120 acres of breathtaking gardens. Three art galleries and a library showcase magnificent collections of paintings, sculptures, rare books, manuscripts, and decorative arts. The botanical collection features over 14,000 different species of plants.
A private, nonprofit institution, The Huntington was founded in 1919 by railroad and real estate developer Henry Edwards Huntington and opened to the public in 1928.
Highlights of the collection include the Ellesmere manuscript of Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales (c.1410), a Gutenberg Bible (c.1455), Thomas Gainsborough's masterpiece The Blue Boy (c. 1770), Sir Thomas Lawrence's Pinkie (1794), Edward Hopper's The Long Leg, Rogier van der Weyden's Madonna and Child (15th century), the spectacular 12-acre desert garden, the serenely beautiful Japanese garden, the camellia gardens, and much more. English tea in the Rose Garden Tea Room is a popular highlight to a day spent enjoying the cultural treasures of The Huntington."


We made it to one tiny little section of the park and saw... The children's garden, the Japanese Garden, the Chinese Garden, and the Rose Garden. Each of them was so unique and different.  All so beautiful.  

This is Morley and Lisa Boyd, they are some friends from the ward. He is 4 months older than Sarah to the day. He borrowed an extra sun hat I had in my backpack. He is adorable, with the biggest blue eyes and olive skin like his mommy. Sarah can date him in 20+++years. I'd be all right with that! :)


All of it was beautiful. I only regretted it once I got home and my allergies flared up like crazy. I was a snotty, sneezy mess all night long. It was however worth it!!

3 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Um, who cares about the pretty flowers. That close up shot of Sarah in her hat is so cute! SO CUTE.

Does sound like a fun day though. Glad you went. (Is it ever weird with the ONE dad there? We used to have a dad come to playgroup and be the last one to leave the house. It was awkward. We had to amend the playgroup "rules" a bit!!!)

Stephanie said...

I love this park just from your pictures. I wanna go, I so love stuff like this.

Ok, SO, I cannot BELIEVE my mother left you a blog message and she never comments on mine. She is in so much trouble next time I see her!! :-)

Grandma W. said...

My goodness! What a beautiful park! Sorry you had allergies after going there, but it must have been worth it! All the flowers are so gorgeous! That is the way everything looked in Seattle when we were there last week for John's funeral. Emerald green and beautiful colors everywhere!
Sarah looks so cute in her hat! So does the little boy!
We love you!