Tuesday, May 6, 2008

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

I of course do not read the sports section, however Richard does and when there's something he thinks I might find interesting or aggravating in this case, then he shares it with me. Last Friday, on May 2 in The Daily Briefing there was a little blurb he thought I would find, I don't know what. Let's just say I found it frustrating. The second quote is from ESPN.

No way, Jose

Jose Canseco's long and winding road has skidded around another hairpin turn. He cried poor to "Inside Edition" this week after losing his $2.5 million home to foreclosure, saying those big contracts are not what they seem. Said Canseco: " . . . OK, let's say it's $35 million. People have to understand that $35 million, you're paying the government 41%. That leaves you with about $17 or $18 million, not even. Then you're taking care of your whole family."

Makes you wonder how the Cansecos ever managed to scrape by.

On Halloween 2004, Sprewell, who was in the final season of a $62-million, five-year deal he signed with the Knicks, said he was insulted by Minnesota' s offer of a contract extension that was reportedly worth between $27 million and $30 million for three seasons. "I've got my family to feed," he said.

My family could eat well on this kind of money. I almost don't know what to say to comments like this, they make my stomach turn and I have to make myself laugh it off or I get very angry.

In the first place I find it absurd that anyone gets paid that amount of money, especially an athlete. I know there are many people who will disagree with me. They think athletes entertain us and put themselves in danger of injury but I still don't think it's worth this kind of money. People say that athletes train hard and when they are on the field, or court, or course they are giving it their all. Well, so is the guy picking the vegetables that end up on my table. So is the trashman who makes it so that I don't live amongst filth like you find in 3rd world countries. Truthfully, I don't know if there is anything that is worth this amount of money.

It's comments like these when I think to myself, "I can't wait until we live the Law of Consecration and everyone gets what they need." I think our world would be a much better place if everyone was taken care of to the extent that they atleast had food and shelter.

Being able to provide your family with the basic necessities in life should be a given. Noone should have to worry about those needs being met and here we have people who get paid crazy amounts of money complaining that they can't feed their family on millions! Maybe it's not the amount of money that's crazy after all, but the people themselves!!!!

2 comments:

Rozanne said...

AMEN!

Grandma W. said...

Amen from this end too!!!!!
Love you!