It was a wonderful holiday season here in Sunny Southern California. I love everything about Christmas; the lights, the tree, the smells, the treats, the decorations, the chilly (relative, I know) weather, and especially the traditions.
Growing up my family had many traditions, most of which Richard experienced this year. We decorated our tree with my ornaments I have received every year, dating all the way back to my first Christmas in 1976. Santa filled our red Gram Weldon stockings full of delightful treats. I love my Gram stocking, but must admit that I was a little jealous of Richards. His had the traditional tree and candy cane, but it also had a cabin, a bike, a palm tree, and a guitar. Talk about personalized! We look forward to Sarah having a red family stocking to hang above the mantel next year. Richard also had to endure (yeah, right!) the traditional Bigelow Christmas breakfast of sticky buns and breakfast casserole. I am sure that was the most difficult part. Sarah even got PJs from the Sandman, however mom did not! :( It was fun for me to be able to incorporate some of these traditions that I hold so dear. into my own family along with a few new ones.
Well, this weekend Sarah and I were able to participate in one of Richard's Christmas traditions and it was a blast! I was laughing my head off. We live in the house Richard grew up in and it's just a few blocks away from Douglas Park. The city of Santa Monica recycles Christmas trees if you take them to the park and drop them off. Ever since Richard was a little boy he has taken his family's tree to Douglas park via skateboard. Now, Richard is not a skateboarder, but for one day a year he becomes one. Picture this, 39 year old (or 10 or 12 or 25) on a skateboard with Christmas tree in hand coasting down approximately 3 blocks to drop off the Christmas tree. It's a good thing we live above the park or it would be more difficult. He even uses the tree as a brake to slow himself down when he approaches stop signs, cars, or obstacles in the way. The bystanders were quite impressed. I actually wish we would have seen more people because I found it quite entertaining and wanted to show off my ingenious husband!
| I was so worried that he was going to hit a car or the curb or something...but not a scratch! |
| Our Christmas tree is on top of this pile somewhere. |
5 comments:
Richard, you are the BEST! I love it. My hubby's crazy ideas are NOT near as fun. (deer in the bath tub anyone?!?!!?)
P.S. Do you think you could post pics of Sarah every day so that when I see her I will really recognize her?!?!?! I know that she won't be alone or anything but I've been feeling so sad to think that if I did see Sarah on the street by herself, I might not know her. Oh my achin heart! Wednesday better hurry up.
BTW, you really don't need to post pics everyday, just know that I can't wait to meet this sweet little thing!
I remember laughing my head off one day while watching Richard take the tree to the park. David was just glad they pick ours up at the curb, because he didn't really enjoy the skateboard Christmas tree delivery.
Yeah for Richard!! You never get too old to skateboard, Richard! Ha
Ha!! What a fun tradition! Between the two of you, you have some great ones! And, rest assured, Sarah will have her red
"Gram" Christmas stocking next year!!! I hope not to be so slow!
Grandma B. is in on this one too!
We are celebrating your Mom's B.day tonight. With Pizza - and I did make a cake!
Richard, I'm so glad my son-in-laws like to do fun things!!! Never a dull moment with either of you! And way to go City of Santa Monica to recycle!!!!
P.S. I'm especially happy that you didn't crash!
Post a Comment