We had our 20 week appointment (20 weeks this coming Saturday) today and they did an ultrasound to see how everything is looking. At one point she said, "Look away I have to check the gender." HUH? I really don't think our other doctor ever knew what we were having and knowing that there is someone who knows for sure what we're having and we don't, is a little difficult. I must admit I was tempted to look, but resisted the urge. We loved being surprised with Sarah and want the same experience with Stitch.
Everything looks good with Stitch and he/she was obedient for the camera. They did however discover some "flashes" in the heart; buildup of calcium in the muscle tissue---wish I could explain it better, but I can't. These flashes can be a sign of Down Syndrome, which we didn't do any other testing for. However, the doctor did say that there were no other signs of Down Syndrome in the ultrasound. Baby Stitch has a nose bone and the neck looks fine; both things that would look differently in a baby with Downs.
As a precaution we have an appointment in 2 weeks with a specialized doctor for a fetal echocardiogram. (It's moments like these I wish Richard or I was a doctor!) One of the reasons they are more concerned with Stitch is that the "flashes" are in parts of the heart that they normally do not see them in. They will look even more carefully at all parts of the baby's heart--arteries, valves, chambers, "flashes" and will hopefully be able to conclude more certainly if/what the problem(s) are; if any. They did say that this occurs in 3-8% of pregnancies and that often they just go away as the baby develops further. It's a little nerve wracking right now, but we feel confident that all will work out.
We can hardly wait for September to get here.
![]() |
| Stitch at 8 weeks... |
![]() |
| Stitch at 12 weeks... |
![]() |
| Stitch at almost 19 weeks 3 days... |
Look at that cute little nose already!!!!!!
and I swear those lips look like Sarah Jane's.



6 comments:
Thank you for the news. We'll be praying for you. Pregnancies can be such emotional roller coasters. This baby is lucky to come to your family and to have such a sweet older sister to play with.
Love the dress by the way. I'm impressed!
I had a similar thing with Lauren. I didn't do the further down's testing either, but they did make me go to a special in utero heart doctor at UCLA to make sure she didn't have a hole in her heart. It was the longest ultrasound of my life. I hope everything turns out as well for Stitch as it did for Lauren! My kids are SO excited to come see Sarah Jane next month. No offense to you and Richard. :)
what a cute nose!!! (and you know how much i love noses!) ... i am sure s/he will be adorable ... i was thinking, even though i haven't met miss sj yet, i should probably wait until i get meet her and her soon-to-be partner in crime ... ;o)
That nose is adorable!! I will be waiting to hear how the next doctor appt goes...I will be thinking of you!! XOXO
i love that baby already.
i think the cute nose looks like miss sj's. ca-razy genetics. it's all very wild to me, actually.
as always, you guys are in prayers.
xoxo.
We had a very similar experience with Mckenzie. When I had my ultrasound, they found two very large systs on her brain. SCARY! They were also a sign that the baby could have downs. I was similarly worried, only because it sounded scary that they were on her brain and they were larger than the doctor had ever seen. Just like you, we would love the baby no matter what. At the next ultrasound - THEY WERE COMPLETELY GONE! Now look at her, she is a little BRAIN! We'll pray for ya!
Post a Comment