Thursday, May 7, 2009

Can You Say HALLELUJAH?!?!

I CAN!!!!!!!
I figured out the infamous shirtdress.

It only took 5, yes, 5 tries!!!!!!

Try #1) Remember the off the shoulder dress?

Try #2) It was such a cute red and white striped shirt and I was super excited about this one. Again, it was too small through the upper body. HOWEVER, I ended up turning it into this...

A little skirt with a darling yellow and white gingham waistband, narrow decorative hem, and a cute little pocket to hold all her special treats (bunny crackers). I actually really love this and will make more of them in the future. I plan to put it in her closet until next summer. Something fun to look forward to.

Try #3) One of Richard's shirts. AGAIN too small throughout the upper body. AGAIN Richard and I went back to the drawing board to recreate the handmade pattern. He's really helpful with figuring things out, as well as being my seam ripper. We are getting closer. I had told myself that if this one didn't work out, I was finished and would move onto another project but when this one didn't work I just became more determined. OBSESSED really. Most household chores have been put on hold. Sarah's naps have been solely devoted to this.

Try #4) I finally got smart and decided to make this one out of an old sheet, rather than wasting ANOTHER shirt! Also I only did the basic parts of the dress and then tried it on her. SUCCESS!!! It was a little tight under her armpits but is wearable. We altered the pattern just a bit to make it a tad roomier.

Try #5) T-A-D-A...I present to you, Miss Sarah Jane in the shirtdress. The sleeves may be a little long and poofy, but that's nothing after all I've been through. I can deal with that.
Bonus--the waistband is made from an old pair of pajama pants I was going to DI, so the entire dress was upcycled!!!

She did not want to try this on, or pose for the picture, but I'm the mommy and I said so!!!








6 comments:

dana said...

YOU DID IT!!
I'm so glad you stuck with it. It's really annoying though when you're in the process of it all.
I love that you turned the one dress into a skirt. GREAT idea!
See, you're a refashionista already. Cute Kim.
Upload it to our flickr site!

Rozanne said...

WAHOO! Nicely done. Cute skirt, too.

catharooni said...

some obsessions are worth indulging! adorable!

Lisa-Marie said...

whoopeeeee! So cute.

And did you finish that skirt from the time you and I talked? Man, you are good!

I'm glad you went with the S, on her dress. That is darling. (Handing it down might be tricky. Make sure to tell Cindy to name her girls with S names!)

cindy. said...

way to go, sister. so super cute.

i'll see what i can do about an 's' name...

Elizabeth said...

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? Good job! It looks cute!