Yesterday I talked with Sarah who left us for CO and though she misses it here, she's happy that she did. (Not Baby Sarah, Sarah Z) Our conversation, followed by an email this morning from a dear friend, has left me thinking. I have a love/hate relationship with blogs.
Eventhough I hadn't talked with Sarah for weeks, I knew what her apartment looked like, that she had had 3 sets of visitors since moving to CO, that she had fallen off her bike, that she made MOH a terrible meal while visiting. All of this without one single conversation.
Because of blogging I have become even worse than I previously was at keeping in touch. I feel like I know everything that is going on with everyone from my daily reads, but it's not the same as hearing someone tell it to me or asking, "How are you? Tell me what you've been up to."
I love blogs because I feel a part of people's lives who are away and I know that they feel connected to mine. I love that I can be a part of my nieces and nephews experiences and that Grandma Weldon knows everything we're up to although we're hundreds of miles away. It makes the miles seem fewer, but I should keep in better personal contact with people.
One on one convo is important and special, as emphasised in an email I received from a non-blogging buddy who I am terrible at keeping in touch with and thus have no idea what they have been up to until I get her updates every now and then. "I am not good at blogging. Email is my main addiction mostly because it is very personal to me and I love reading and writing things that are meant for specific people."
I guess my point is that I love blogger because I feel a part of so many different things that I miss out on and I don't like it because I keep in worse contact with people then I did before I began blogging. I think I need to change things a little and do a more to keep in better personal contact, because my friend is right, there is something personal about an email addressed to just you!
Look out for phone calls and emails coming your way very soon!! And maybe if I am feeling a little crazy, snail mail as well. I love non-bill/junk mail---who doesn't?!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Up to date
Posted by Kim at 2:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am in the same boat. This is almost my social for the day.
in emails you worry about being too selfish & ask questions about the other person - but a blog is all about you!!! i like hearing all about you. :)
of course, i agree with the personal contact aspect. balance is good!
I love snail mail because I might just get a picture or two!!!!!
We love the blog because you post such cute pictures and tell us what is happening in your every day lives! However, we do still like to call you every so often because we like to talk to you!! It is so much more personal! And, we will not quit that as long as we can dial the phone!!!
Love you!
so true kim...so true.
Post a Comment