Monday, March 31, 2008

QUOTE OF THE WEEK--Lightbulb Moment For Me

"Have you ever noticed that nearly all of Satan's attacks are directed at your body? Pornography, immodesty, tattoos, immorality, drug abuse, and addictions are all efforts to take possession of this precious gift. This was a gift that was denied Satan."


--Elaine S. Dalton
1st Counselor, Young Women General Presidency

Because of my calling as Stake Camp Leader for the Young Women's Program, the YW President wanted me to watch the broadcast for the girls. Last night my mom and I watched it via TiVo while Richard was home teaching.

I have heard Sister Dalton speak before. I enjoy her talks for many reasons: She seems so personable and is easy to listen to, she seems to be an outdoors-loving type and speaks about her marathons and backpacking trips, and she provides a-ha or lightening bulb moments for me everytime. This time was no different.

She was just as personable in her sunny, yellow outfit, she talked about running a marathon, and she made this statement. The moment it left her lips, I was struck! It was very profound for me and I have been thinking about it all day now. Like Sister Dalton, I am hardpressed to find many things Satan does to bring us down that aren't related to our bodies. Sister Dalton listed some things, however, the list is not even complete. Obviously Satan has realized that it is really great to possess a body and he must be jealous and regret not being able to receive one...EVER.

Wouldn't it stink to be him and to have to see what wonderful things he's missing out on everyday for eternity?

This statement made me really think I better do all I can to cherish and protect this body. If Satan wants one so badly, I need to be thankful for the body I do have. Now there's not much I can do to make up for some of the traps I have fallen into in the past (tattoo anyone?! to name only one) however I do have the agency to make sure he can't grab hold of me by using my body in the future.

2 comments:

Stopher and Nicolle said...

I am so jealous you get to go to camp! It was my favorite growing up and I loved my leaders. You are going to be awesome!! Thanks for sharing this little bit of inspiration. I miss YW!

Loralee said...

Hey! Long time no see, roomie. It is fun to see your pictures and read your blog to catch up!

I am stake camp directors assistant in SoCal. We definately should compare notes!