Thursday, March 27, 2008

Great, Greats

Sarah Jane had the privilege of meeting all of her living Great Grandparents on a trip she and I took to Boise during the middle of March. What a wonderful experience it was to spend time with my daughter and some of my favorite people.

On our first evening in Boise she met Papa and Grandma Weldon. We even had the privilege of staying the night there with Great Grandma while Papa had a sleep apnea test done. It was wonderful to see my grandma care for her in the same way I am certain she cared for me. She definitely hasn't lost her touch as Sarah was very content while we were there. Grandma kept kissing her in the crook of her neck; just as I knew she would.

The next day we went to Great Grandma Bigelow's house. It was a bitter-sweet experience for me because just a few months ago Grandpa passed away and I so wanted him to meet her. I have so many fun memories with him and wanted my children to eat ice cream, go for walks, and receive Pony Girl rides from him. It was wonderful however for her to get to spend time with Great Grandma, who is one of the greatest grandmas around. Whenever my sister takes her kids there Grandma has toys and books lined up for them to play with. Well when Sarah and I arrived she had brought up her rocking chair so that she could rock Sarah Jane. So sweet! Grandma also kept saying, "I am just cross that you live so far away. The next time I see her she won't know me. I am just cross." I love that.

On our way home rather than fly all the way to Los Angeles, we flew to Las Vegas where Richard was waiting for us. He drove down so that we could go meet his Grandpa, Sarah's Great Grandpa Ernie Atchley. He is 93 years old and it was wonderful to spend the afternoon with him. It was well worth the drive back to Los Angeles, rather than a short flight, and Richard thought it was worth the 8 hour day-trip.


How lucky Sarah is to have so many grandparents. I hope she fosters wonderful relationships with them like I have. They have so much to teach her and lots of love to give. Sarah in total has 4 living Great Grandparents and 4 living Grandparents...she's just as lucky as I was, except that I lived near all of mine. Sadly, she doesn't live near any of hers, but has received many visits, and I show her lots of pictures. Don't worry Great Grandma Bigelow, she WILL know you too!!

Grandparents are GREAT!

Sarah Jane Atchley, 3 months with her Great Grandma, Marcella Weldon. How I didn't manage to get a picture with Papa as well, I am not certain, but I do know I am mad that I didn't!!!



Sarah Jane with Great Grandma, Marjorie Bigelow.


Sarah Jane Atchley and her Great Grandpa, Ernest (Ernie) AtchleyRichard's middle name is Ernest after his grandfather.

4 Generations...Ron happened to be in town while we were there so Sarah was able to have a photo op with 3 very important men!

4 comments:

Lisa-Marie said...

Our kids are so lucky. Are they not?

I love the pic of Sarah with Gpa Ernie. See? She totally looks like him. It is so cute.

I think it is so neat that every one of the gparents look so proud in the pictures with Sarah.

Lisa-Marie said...

P.S. your blog makeover is pretty!!!

Grandma W. said...

What a fun time it was to have you and Sarah with us!!! And, I loved feeding her all the time and kissing her in her sweet little neck! I am so glad we get to come to CA in June so we can see all of you again! Maybe she won't forget us if we get to see her once in a while! Yes, she is a lucky little girl - just like all you girls were when you were little!! Thank you for staying with us!!!!
We love you!

Stephanie said...

I think it is really special all the great-grandparent Sarah will get to know in her life. (My kids only have 2 great grandparents still alive and both from Dustin's side.) It's pretty special.

I love your blog now...the old one didn't remind me of you and this one does. Love it.