Monday, August 25, 2008

Missionaries for Dinner

We had the missionaries over for dinner tonight. I enjoy having them in our home and they usually leave us with a nice message. Up until a few weeks ago we have had sister missionaries. They were amazing...Friendly, upbeat, hardworking, normal.

Well, now we have Elders and having them over for dinner was a totally different experience. Richard and I both kept thinking, "The church sends these boys to teach people the gospel?"

Let's see, where do I start?

**Elder Anderson offered the prayer over our meal where he proceeded to say, "Please bless the food that it may be healthy and low in calories." Followed by serious chuckles as he finished the prayer.

**Everytime he put out his hand to have you shake it, he would pull it back. I don't think we ever got a handshake.

**Sarcasm, sarcasm, sarcasm. Now, we will admit that maybe we perpetuated this, as we aren't the least sarcastic people on the block.

**He was trying to remember people in our ward and wasn't describing them in the nicest of ways. "Is he the one with the wierd hair, she's the Korean who's not Korean but she has squinty eyes, etc." It leaves us pondering what our description will entail?!

I do have to give credit to one of them. He seemed to have his head on straight but the poor fella has a delinquent companion. Bummer for him and the rest of Santa Monica.

I also realize I might get struck by lightening for posting this but it has to be said!

6 comments:

cindy. said...

YA. and then they send them home and expect us to want to marry them?????????????

Kim said...

HAH! i feel for you sister. Richard was just trying to think back to see if that was how he acted. Maybe it's a good thing I waited unitil he was 37 to marry him! :)

catharooni said...

i look at some missionaries and ask myself how i ever listened to them and made such a major life decision based on their words. then i remember the missionary i had was AMAZING! still is. they are pregnant with their SIXTH right now ... and he is bishop! i managed to walk into a golden missionary!!

ah, the joys of being a single woman - no one expects me to feed the elders!!

Lisa-Marie said...

Maybe we better have the Elders over for a little entertainment! That is so funny. I am giggling giggling! Mostly,I'd love to see Richard's reactions. That would probably be the best part of the whole night!

Jen said...

I can see that the world has changed and they have raised the bar but Elders continue to be Elders. Thank goodness for the spirit that really teaches the people and they are just the instruments that he uses.
Sisters are better!!! :) HAHAHA

Grandma W. said...

Well, poor boy! He just probably isn't ready for such things! You know, some boys take a long time to mature!! And, no - you won't be struck down by being honest, Honey! It is still the best policy! It was nice of you to have them over for dinner! Bet they really enjoyed your cooking!!
Love you!