Monday, February 22, 2010

Earplugs Anyone?

This morning EVERYTHING sounded like a baby crying.

The heater.


Richard's shower.

The trashtruck coming up the alley.

The neighbor's lawnmower.

My shower.


EVERYTHING!

We started "sleep training" Luke last night.

Really that's just fancy talk for "cry it out."

And really that's just fancy talk for make mom and dad feel like horrible parents.

But when you weigh over 18 pounds at 4 months, you don't need to be waking 3 or 4 times a night.

You don't need to be waking at all.

Plus, exhaustion has really set in and I need some solid sleep.

We put him to bed at 8:30. Which is later than we normally do.

And shortly thereafter he woke.

Usually he'd get reswaddled, replugged, and fall back asleep.

Last night he got nothing.

We got lots and lots of loud crying and sick stomachs because we felt so badly.

Finally, after 45 minutes he stopped crying.


Not bad.

Fastforward to 3;37...the crying began again.

I figured that since it only took 45 minutes last time we would all be back to sleep before long.

WRONG!

The book we're following says to check in; meaning enter the room, tell them you love them and that they can go back to sleep now, and leave the room. No reswaddling, replugging, or kisses goodnight. Touching is off limits.


So that's what I did until 4:50 when I couldn't do it alone anymore.

My heart was breaking.

So Richard got the next check-in shift 20 minutes later and told Luke the same thing I had been telling him.

Richard returned to bed and said a prayer. Smart man.

And shortly thereafter the crying stopped.

And we didn't hear from him again until 8:15.


He's got stamina.

He cried for more than 1 1/2 hours.

Hopefully tonight is easier.

On all of us!!

9 comments:

Stacey Jensen said...

Poor Mom and Dad! I hated this part of parenting. It was so difficult. And you are right....EVERYTHING sounds like the crying of your baby!

Jen said...

What are you following??? please let me know how it goes because we need to do it with our little guy but I just HATE the crying.

Rozanne said...

Well, is it getting any better?

Elizabeth said...

Does he need to come and spend the night at my house? Is it getting any better?

Whitney said...

Sounds awful! Good luck, Kim! And we still need to catch up one of these days...

Stephanie said...

I wish I could say I knew what you were going through, but the good Lord knew I couldn't take criers in the night so he sent me babies that slept 6-8 hours straight from birth. Although that sounds boastful, I don't mean it that way. I just wanted to say treasure this time, I know it seems like you are going crazy now, but time goes by so quickly and before you know it you will turn around and he is going to be 12 and passing the sacrament (obviously referring to my Quintin) and you are going to want the days back when he would cry and the only thing that comforts him is his mommy or daddy rocking him in the rocking chair.

Although, Quintin and I had a great laugh as I made him sit on my lap after school yesterday, in the rocking chair, and tried to reminisce the good old days. And then we made up stories about his future...also funny.

The moral of this incredibly long and probably boring post...Try to enjoy each stage, even the crying sleepy stage. You will blink and they will be almost teenagers!

XOXO

PS I was so excited to hear from Cindy about the engagement! I think Cindy's fiance and your husband look like brothers...what do you think?

Stephanie said...

ps again...I should have put that incredibly long post in an email!!

:]

Grandma W. said...

Oh Dear!!! You just brought up memories of "53" years ago!! Your Aunt Patty cried for 10 months with the colic, so we have a very good idea what you are going thru!
Only this will not last that long.
You are right, he does not need, and I repeat, DOES NOT NEED those feedings during the night!!!
And, he will finally get used to it, though I know it seems like endless time!
Both you and Rich just hang on and it will cease! Some night, you will wake up and think, "my gosh, what is wrong?" as he will not be crying at all! That's right!!
We love you and are having sympathy
pains for you!!

Kelli Dalley said...

Kim - we did the same thing with our babies. Only Brian was holding me down, as not to run in and save my poor crying baby. Instead of running in and saving them, I cried with them in the other room. Borke my heart too. I also had chunk-a-monka babies. Does that have something to do with them waking at night?

Steph is right, you may wake up tomorrow and they'll be teenagers. Kenzie goes into YW next month :(